Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Umpiring part 2

As I mentioned last time, after every NV game the senior umpire does an evaluation of the junior umpire.  A part of this process is to do a post-game discussion between umpires after the game to give feedback on how an umpire is doing and any advice on how we can do our jobs better.  When a veteran umpire is working with a rookie, this is pretty one directional.  When two umpires that are at the same level/have the same experience work together, its much more bi-directiona, even if one is designated senior we both help each other out.

This process has two results.  The first is that we are always being evaluated and critiqued.  This is a good (or even great) thing since it means that we're always getting advice and hopefully also means that we're getting better.  Over time, every umpire that works in our association does get better, and that's a good thing for everyone - that umpire, the partner(s) he's working with, and the players/coaches/fans he's working for.  Umpires who aren't open to feedback don't tend to last very long in our association.

The second result is that we are always being driven to get better, even when we don't necessarily want to.  It's always assumed that the only reason you're working this level of baseball is because you haven't quite gotten good enough to where you can work the next level of baseball.  I got as good as I ever wanted to be during my second full high school season (2 years after college), and I call a pretty good game.  I just don't have the drive to move any higher, for a number of reasons.

Most importantly, it's just not a priority for me.  To work college baseball, you generally have to drive several hours to the games which are all over the middle atlantic for early afternoon games, which means taking time off work.  There's also just a different atmosphere of competition at higher levels that add another level of stress to working that I don't think I need.  While I enjoy the competitive varsity high school games I get in the Spring, I have the most fun working decent rec games where everyone is out there to have fun and be competive, but in a way that doesn't really matter.  I'm happy doing what I'm doing.

Last year after a 3-man playoff game where I made a couple mistakes I had it out a little bit with the crew chief.  Saying I had it out with him is a gross exaggeration of a short debate in a couple respectful emails, but it got me to actually tell someone why I'm not trying to do college ball.  The crew chief was a senior ump who has helped me a lot over the years, and he was very disappointed i wasn't putting in the extra effort to go to the next level.  He was mad I hadn't spent hours reviewing and practicing 3 man mechanics before the game.  He couldn't understand why I hadn't spent hundreds of dollars (1000+) and a week of vacation going to the 3-man college camp our assocation puts on in Florida that works with several of the colleges down there. It got down to the gritty details of that I hadn't shined my shoes prior to the game.  In the end though I think he understood where I was coming from and he backed off.

I say all this because I have another game with this umpire next week.  The previously mentioned game was one of the last games I did last year prior to getting stationed in Alabama for the rest of the summer and fall, so I haven't seen him since.  I'm sure it will go fine, but I'm interested to see what he thinks and how he rates me.  In any case, I'm sure I'll call a good game, and in the end I'll probably just keep working at the level I'm at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Message!