Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New PS3! And games to go with it!

About 2 weeks ago I bought a PS3.  For a long time we've been using Caitlin's old laptop as a DVD player.  Unfortunately, Caitlin's old laptop is a PoS that is mostly broken.  The monitor on it doesn't work so we had to use it through the TV to see what we were doing.  It took a long time to boot and maybe 25% of the time seemed to forget it had a DVD drive and it made us reboot.  If you bumped the table it was on at all, it would frequently just totally lose the DVD and we'd have to start all over. 

So we decided it was time to get an actual DVD player.  I've been thinking about getting either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 for a while, and since the PS3 has the built-in bluray it won out.  I ended up paying a little more for a 320GB version (as opposed to a 160) that also came with a game.  Although I probably wouldn't ever fill up the 160 harddrive, the fact that I've filled up 2 PS2 memory cards, both my gamecube memory cards, and am pretty much out of space on my non-data-transferrable Wii, I erred on the side of caution because I hate deleting game files.  I went back to play a couple of my PS2 games at one point, and when I realized I had deleted my game files for them it made me really sad, since it meant I couldn't just start at later points in the game, etc. 

The game the console came with was Infamous 2.  I hadn't heard much about it (or the first one) but I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try.  And I've been pleasently surprised to find it's been a lot of fun.  It's a  grand theft auto type open world game but with superpowers, and fighting super-villains instead of murdering/robbing innocent people/the world. 

I went looking for what PS3 games I had missed that I should go back and play.  Pretty soon I had ordered a half dozen games on Amazon (the list is below) and now I can't wait for them to get here. 

Little big planet
Mirror's edge
Disgaea 3
Demon Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy XIII

I'm probably most excited for Valkyria Chronicles, which was the only one I hadn't really heard of.  After seeing a few reviews though I'm pretty psyched.  I've got my work cut out for me though to get through all these games.  They were all $20 or less, and made me remember this XKCD.

http://xkcd.com/606/

Any other PS3 recommendations?  I've heard Journey is worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I kind of liked my PoS laptop, but it was definitely time to move on. Perhaps I'll even figure out that silly double joystick on the PS3 controllers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replayed HL2 last year and that shit still holds up great. Also, my computer is pretty cheap and I'm not sure how well it could handle any of the games that are coming out now, so it's good to have old classics around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once started to play through HL1 but didn't get all that far. I never owned HL2 but I imagine its pretty cheap on Steam. One of the main reasons I want an Xbox 360 is to go back and play through the halos, which I never really played the campaigns for.

    And yes, having the classics around is crucial.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Message!