Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Fairfax County Parkway Trail

The Fairfax County Parkway is basically DC's second beltway in Virginia, running from Rt 7 in Herndon down I95 in Lorton, about 10 miles out from the real beltway.  The FCP trail mostly runs along it but there are a few breaks.  The trail runs for 30 miles, and was paved originally although it is not well maintained so you need to watch out for roots/pot holes.  It's not all that nice a ride either, since even though it's called a "parkway" it's basically just a highway, and for the most part the trail is right alongside the road, not behind a barrier or even through a few trees. 

Until recently, I thought the trail only ran from I66 and North, because the trail splits from the parkway there and you need to take the trail along side roads to get back to the trail on the other side.  Apparently it ends abruptly again down in Burke and you're forced onto the actual roads to get around the mile break.  I've never ridden the southern section, but its on my list of rides to do.   This weekend was actually the first time I'd made it to the Northern end.

The very end in the South meets up with the Accotink trail, and the trail crosses the W&OD in Reston (the furthest North I've been).  It's about 7 miles from my house to the trail, but the roads between the two are very bikable.  I've made the loop with the W&OD and the FCP trail a couple times.  I may try the loop with the Accotink at some point too.

Google Maps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Message!